Thursday, January 25, 2007

Breaking Free


Posting my entry on Judith Marks-White (see below) reminded me of the oft-quoted Nancy Thayer adage: "It's never too late--in fiction or in life--to revise."

Thayer's quote then reminded me of Thoreau and his famous words on morality taken from a letter written on March 7, 1848: "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. So aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."

Which then reminded me of this quote by novelist Ann Tyler: "I don't know which takes more courage: surviving a lifelong endurance test because you once made a promise or breaking free, disrupting all your world."

Divorcing my first husband was one of the most heartbreaking decisions I've ever made--and one of the most transformative.

NOTE: The photo above was taken the weekend of my son Gabe's wedding. The man on the left is my first husband Steve; the man on the right is Michael, my husband of 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment