Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Benediction


Lying under the covers yesterday, the house quiet as a church (everyone had gone to a friend's to celebrate while I stayed home combating the flu), I silently expressed gratitude for all the usual things--my loved ones, my health (despite my current setback, the past two or three years have been particularly healthy ones for me), my work and so forth.

Then perhaps because I was alone, I began to reflect on some of the solitary pleasures that regularly buoy my spirit, feeling thankful for those as well.

I thought about how much I love dancing alone in the dark late at night to James Taylor songs when my husband is away on business; or lying on my living room couch on a winter afternoon, warming myself in the sun as I read; or getting my first whiff of spring as the loamy Connecticut soil begins to thaw; or even just watching the clouds roll in before a storm. (The photo above was taken at the beach near my house right before I became ill.) I even thought about how much I love the ticking of the clocks in my house, the way they chime at different moments like a syncopated song.

I hope that you, too, had a lovely Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

  1. As a fellow Nutmegger, I know just what you mean by the loamy March soil; it has a distinct, fresh scent anticipating tulips & tomatoes, etc. Simple pleasures like that are truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you agree, Joanne. I love all four seasons in CT--the first flakes of snow, the fall leaves at their peak, the summer breezes. But most of all I love that loamy smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prill, there is a study--UCLA I believe--that says as they age women tend to enjoy their alone time and feel more comfortable with it even when they're out and about. There are lots of good things about defying gravity--one of them is comfort with oneself.

    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    www.howtodoitfrugally.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prill, I grew up in the desert southwest. Sage, after a spring rain storm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could hear the clocks ticking in your house, Prill. This was a lovely piece that you wrote. I used to have more solitary time and miss not having it as much. But reading your post made me feel the same peace and tranquility as if I was alone. Thank you for that. Hope you are feeling better.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Barbara. OKSufi, I don't have a lot of experience with deserts, but I can picture the sage popping through the ground after a spring rain. And, finally, Carolyn, I'd love to skim that study if you could help me locate it.

    ReplyDelete