Monday, August 25, 2008

Exercise of the Week: Excavating the Past

I recently asked my mom if she remembered when her love of drawing began. (The pastel pictured above is hers.)

"It was the day I started kindergarten," she said with laughing eyes. "On an upside-down table on the floor, its legs sticking up, were all these pieces of colored paper and a gazillion crayons. I just couldn't wait to get my hands on them."

My mom's response reminded me of this week's exercise, which Julia Cameron, author of The Artist's Way, taught me several years ago at a Learning Annex workshop. The instructions are simple; the results, potentially life-changing.

Instructions
  1. List 5 absorbing activities you did as a child.
  2. Circle any that you are no longer doing.
  3. For any item you've circled, ask yourself, "Is there some way I could incorporate this activity back into my life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment