Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Truth About Tips

I always tell people that my number one tip for aspiring late bloomers is not to place too much stock in tips.

Why? Because we each have our own unique circumstances, our own personal baggage to take or discard as we make our way in life. We fashion our dreams with what we have at hand.

As I write this, I’m reminded of a comment Barack Obama made recently about political philosopher Reinhold Niebuhr.

Obama says:

I take away [from Niebuhr] the compelling idea that there’s serious evil in the world, and hardship and pain. And we should be humble and modest in our belief that we can eliminate those things. But we shouldn’t use that as an excuse for cynicism and inaction. I take away . . . the sense we have to make these efforts knowing they are hard, and not swinging from naïve idealism to bitter realism. (To read the full article, click here).

What does Obama’s statement have to do with defying gravity?

Simply this:

If I'm correct in my assertion that when we stop dreaming, we start dying, then paying attention to our desires and aspirations is every bit as important as combating evil and hardship and pain--at least on an individual level.

(I might be able to argue that it's critical for the planet as well, but that's a subject for another posting.)

And while there's something to be said for being realistic about our circumstances and limitations, age alone is no excuse for inaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment